High Tor

Station High Tor beacon is a tall steel structure supporting a revolving aerial light as well as two flight lights. It is located on the highest point of the tall peak just south of the village of Haverstraw and known locally as the Tor. No marks were set, however the center of the tower is marked by a cross cut in the rock and triangulation station High Tor is 1.78 meters from the center of the beacon as reported in 1932.


 

Recovery note by United States Coast and Geodetic Survey  1964

The station is located about 1 mile south of Haverstraw, about 1 mile west of the Hudson river, at the top of a bare mountain known as High Tor Mountain, and on the property of the Palisades Park. It is a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers map control station. It is a 3 inch in diameter brass disk that is not stamped, cemented in a drilled hole near the center of the concrete footings of the ruins of an air beacon.