The Jersey City and Albany Railway Company reorganized as the New York, West Shore, and Buffalo Railway on February 18, 1880. The southern section of the line was completed to Haverstraw in 1879 through the temporary long clove switchback. The tunnel was open in 1883, and the newly formed company inaugurated service from Newburgh through to Jersey City, New Jersey.
The New York Central bought the New York, West Shore, and Buffalo Railway on November 24, 1885 and reorganized their new acquisition as The West Shore Railroad on December 5, 1885 and leasing it back for 475 years from January 1, 1886.
The Haverstraw Station was located at now East Railroad and Samsondale Avenues in West Haverstraw, its location in direct competition to the NJ&NYRR’s Railroad Avenue station . The West Shore also shared track rights with the O&W north to Cornwall and later west to Middletown both originating in Weehawkin, making this a well known stop on the line.
The first two months of service had trains stopping at the top of Fairmount Avenue for rider convenience but was discontinued quickly. Soon after, residents of the Village of Haverstraw, who without a station were forced to travel a mile and a half north, on a road “apt to be infested with bad characters” had 534 signatures on a petition resulting in this decision.
The South Haverstraw station was at the foot of the Long Clove Road, built as as a concession to the landholders for rights through the property. In testimony given to the Board of Railroad Commissioners in 1884, it was reported there was never a ticket sold for South Haverstraw and the station was closed soon after.
The Fairmount Avenue platforms and later Main Street Depot were soon completed with numerous sidings along the track north to Haverstraw Depot. Today, there is still a viable right of way southeast that led towards the gas plant on Clove Avenue.
Coal, lumber, brick, and manufactured goods were shipped and received from any number of factories and warehouses in North Rockland along both the West Shore and Erie, while many local families handled local freight deliveries.
Meanwhile, regular passenger service from Haverstraw was terminated in the early 1950’s as automobiles and the Thruway became the prevelant. CSX today operates over 30 trains a day on the River subdivision, an extremely profitable operation. The Fairmount Avenue platforms are still visible, and what would become Haverstraw Station in 1903 we call Railroad Square.
The Stations in North Rockland
Fairmount Avenue/Haverstraw (1903)